Saturday, August 10, 2013

Guest Post by Mary Louisa Locke

Joe sez: I'm going to be taking a blogging break during August, but I've got twelve guest posts scheduled this month, so they'll appear as slotted.

Today it's Mary Louisa Locke...

On Second Chances and Role Models: A Tribute to my Father

This is a re-edited post I wrote May 2, 2010, three year ago, about my father, Joseph H. Locke, who had Alzheimer's, and the profound effect he had on my writing career.

I have just returned from the melancholy task of moving my father into the "memory care" wing of an assisted living facility. My Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s about eight years ago and caring for him has been increasingly difficult for my step-mother.

My father is a remarkable man. I watched him struggle to find something about his new situation to feel good about. He discovered that if he sang old WWII songs, almost everyone responded in some fashion, some of the residents actually singing along. When he quoted poetry, people smiled. One staff member said, "He just lifts your heart being around him."

What I want to write about today in this post is the role model he has been for me, and the lesson I learned from him about second chances––a lesson that many of my fellow indie authors are learning.

My father's dream as a young man was to get a doctorate in sociology and become a college teacher. Instead, after obtaining a masters degree in social work in the late 1940s, he joined the corporate world of U. S. Steel in his hometown of Pittsburgh. He had a wife who had rheumatic heart disease, which required very good health care benefits, so he sacrificed his dreams. He worked for U.S. Steel for nearly 30 years. Although there were aspects of his career as a middle manager that he was proud of, he never felt he fit in, and the conservative corporate environment stifled him.

Finally, in the late seventies, when old rust belt industries no longer could compete, U.S. Steel gave him a "golden handshake." At the age of 58, he was forced to retire, but he was not ready to quit working. Until Social Security kicked in he supplemented his pension by teaching business sociology at a local community college––finally getting a second chance to fulfill his dream. Then, in his early sixties, he retired completely. He and my mother moved to Florida for her health, and there he pursued another secret dream and joined a local poetry group. Eventually, he began to win contests and even get some of his poetry published. My mother died in 1987, when he was only 66, and a year later he met, wooed with his poetry, and married my step-mother, who was a poet herself.

The next decade was a wonderful one for him, with all sorts of second chances––a new marriage and a productive second career as a poet. Then in his early eighties, the confusion and memory loss of early Alzheimer's began to set in. One of the saddest aspects of this period for me was when he began to mourn what he saw as the missed opportunities of his past and express an anxiety about not having "been successful, made a mark."

From my perspective, however, he had been very successful––particularly successful in providing me a role model that has helped me embrace second chances in my own life. First of all, while I always understood the economic necessity of his choice to work for US Steel, the message he gave to me, a young woman growing up in the patriarchal suburban middle class of the 1950s, was that I should follow a career that fulfilled me.

That had a lot to do with my decision to push forward and get a doctorate in history at a time when only about 32% of college faculty in any discipline were women and only 17% of college history professors were female. That doctorate got me my teaching position––in a Texas University that was very hostile to women. Taking my father's message to heart about not sticking in a job I hated, I did something unheard of: I quit a tenure track job.

Eventually I got a second change at a career, and I loved that I got to follow in his footsteps by embarking on a successful twenty year career teaching at a community college. But, like my father, I had my own deferred dream––to get the historical mystery I had written years earlier published. And my father's post-retirement career as a poet again provided a role model for me. I began to tell people that when I retired that, like my father, I would make writing my "second career."

At the age of sixty, upon retirement, I got that second chance to reinvent myself. I investigated the rise of the ebook and indie-publishing; I set up a blog, learned to use twitter and facebook, conquered formatting for ebooks and print, and I self-published Maids of Misfortune, the first of my Victorian San Francisco Mystery series in December of 2009. My father, despite the ravages of Alzheimer's, was very proud of my achievement, and I felt I had made the best of the lesson he had taught me, that it is never to late to start over.

My father died two years after this post was first written, but he got to hold both of my published books in his hands, and I like to think he understood what that meant. I do know what it has meant to me. This second chance at a career has been unbelievably rewarding. The first year, Maids of Misfortune earned me $5,500, a nice supplement to my pension and part-time teaching. The second year I earned $25,000, enough so I could retire completely and write full-time. Last year I made $75,000, more than I made in any year as a full time history professor, and this morning, Maids of Misfortune, and the sequel,  Uneasy Spirits, are still chugging along as bestsellers in numerous categories in the Kindle store.

I know that one of the reasons I began to read Joe Konrath's posts on self-publishing in 2009 was that he shared the same first name with my father. However, it was Konrath's willingness to lay out the data on his own book sales that gave me the courage to turn by back on the traditional publishing route and give self-publishing a try. Konrath, like my father, has steadfastly promoted the idea of second chances­­––for authors and their books––and I hope that other writers will be encouraged in turn by my success. 

Joe sez: Learn what you can. Pass along what you've learned. Have as much fun as possible. Then leave the world a better place because you lived in it, through the things you've done and the people you've touched.

Success isn't about fame, or money. Success is having someone write what Mary did above, about you.

Be that person.

21 comments:

Tabitha Maine said...

Great post, Mary--very inspirational. Thank you.

M. Louisa Locke said...

I want to thank Joe and Tess Gerritsen for the opportunity to support this worthy cause.

As Bloody Lessons, the third book in my series, coincidentally appears as a pre-order on Kindle for the first time today, I can't help but wish I could be sharing my excitement of hitting this "marker of success" with my father.

But I am glad to be able to share some of my joy with you all who are also discovering the benefits of being an author in a time when there are incredible opportunities for new beginnings and new kinds of success.

Thanks,

M. Louisa Locke





Alan Tucker said...

Congratulations to you, Mary, and thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm sure your dad is making life better for those around him wherever he is. And I'm sure he is proud of your accomplishments as well.

I wish you all the success in the world!

Sharper13x said...

Terrific post by Mary, and very worthy follow up comments from Joe. Thanks to both of you.

Walter Knight said...

My dad didn't know I was writing books until he was on his death bed. My first two books just got published, and I hadn't told him because they weren't selling well yet. When he found out, dad revealed he always wanted to be an author, too. I took notes as dad's last words were an idea for a book.

There was some rambling, but still, there was a story to be told, and humor, so at the end of one of my books I added his last chapter. It's like a memorial now, that I can pick up and read anytime.

If you're a writer, I encourage you to put some sort of memorial of loved ones in your books before memories fade.

Maia Sepp said...

So excited to see the new book out! Loved the other two.
--Maia

Ingpark said...

I'm lucky in that I know (via e-mail) Mary Lou and have been inspired by her. She works extremely hard at her present career and deserves her success.

I didn't know we had so much in common in our backgrounds and how we came to write. Alas, my relationship with my own father wasn't blessed with such love.

Jude Hardin said...

Golden.

Patrice Fitzgerald said...

Thanks for the messages, both practical and inspirational... wonderful post.

Kris Bock said...

maids of misfortune is a great series!

w. adam mandelabum esq. said...

A great big Mazel Tov to you for your indie publishing success. It's great to see deserving people succeed.

dr.cpe said...

i love your father, and I love your heart Mary Louisa. I wept my way through. Thank you for touching my heart and my memory of my dad, such stalwart souls these fathers of ours. Such last of their kinds.
dr.cpe

Nancy Beck said...

Very touching, Mary. I lost my father 20 years ago this April, to a car crash (he hit a tree), that was brought on by a certain disease that didn't have a name or drugs available at the time to hold it in check. It now has both, thank goodness, since both my brother and his son have it.

Sounds like he was a very successful man all around. :-)

Continued success to you!

Joe Flynn said...

Wonderful post, Mary. God bless all good mothers and fathers, and the children who honor them.

Anonymous said...

I finished this post with tears in my eyes. I'm attempting to follow my dreams and embark on a totally different second career in editing and writing and the idea that it's never too late to fulfil your dreams is one I wish everyone in the world to embrace. Your father and, thanks to his example and your courage, you, are what the world needs more of. Thank you for sharing. Sara

Jon Mills said...

Great post Joe and Mary

I think most of us are seeking to have this as our #1 income earner. I know I am

Well back to writing ;0

Anonymous said...

Mary, Reading your post was a great way to start my day. Thank you very much. I am much like you as I am within striking distance of retiring from my teaching career and have written a book. I have tried for the past year to find an agent the traditional way--to no avail.
Anything you can say to me about publishing an e-book would be very much appreciated. Many thanks, Val

Nancy Beck said...

Val,

Glad to see you jettison the idea of getting an agent. Besides having to hope that an agent gets back to you at all, you then have to deal with horrible publishing contracts - and most agents do NOT have the legal degrees (in publishing contracts, very important) to figure out these terrible contracts.

I obviously can't speak for Mary, but I've decided to do it all on my own. I learned how to format ebooks, I'm learning how to do the paper format (way diff than ebooks, but still doable), and I've come a long way in doing covers. (I'm 51, BTW, so I'm no young'n, and if I can do it, anyone can. :-))

Anyway, if you don't want to do all that, that's fine. Dean Wesley Smith's blog is a treasure trove of all things indie. He has a couple of series, like Thinking Like a Publisher - as a writer, you would be your own business - and Killing the Sacred Cows of Publishing. With KSCP, he's actually updating posts from 2010, because so much has changed since then (in only 3 years! :-)).

But one of the places he suggests those he can't/won't/whatever with all this indie stuff is Lucky Bat Books. They have a menu system where you can pick and choose what you want done. From cover to editing to formatting. You pay one price for whatever you choose and that's it; they don't extract 15% from you forever.

Google Dean Wesley Smith and check it out. And go to his wife's site, www.kriswrites.com. Both are very informative, as Konrath's blog here.

Let us know how things go. :-)

San Antonio Homes For Sale said...

I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job San Antonio Homes For Sale

Susan Fleet said...

What a beautiful post, Mary Louisa, and a fine tribute to your Dad. Like you, I've launched a second career as a mystery author. Yup, after being a professional trumpeter and teaching at several Boston area colleges, I discovered my dark side and began killing people. Fictionally, of course.
Wishing you great success with your historical mystery series!
Susan Fleet, author of the Frank Renzi mystery series

San Antonio Roofing said...

This article gives good ideas and concepts. It is very interesting to read such a Great blog post San Antonio Roofing